You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.

Thursday 22 December 2011

2011.

Here are my picks from 2011’s releases. It’s been a good year, with several debut albums making my list alongside some firmly established favourites and even a new Radiohead album. I’d love to write a bit on why everything is where it is, but who has the time?

Just remember, I’m not saying these are the best, they are just my favourites, and we all have different taste. If you agree with anything though, feel free to compliment me on my excellent taste.

 Holocene by boniver

Albums of the year
  1. Bon Iver – Bon Iver
  2. Anna Calvi – Anna Calvi
  3. Radiohead – The King of Limbs
  4. The Drums – Portamento
  5. Yuck - Yuck
  6. PJ Harvey – Let England Shake
  7. James Blake – James Blake
  8. The Kills – Blood Pressures 
  9. Laura Marling – A Creature I Don’t Know
  10. Benjamin Francis Leftwich – Last Smoke Before the Snowstorm
Honourable mentions: Fleet Foxes – Helplessness Blues, The Horrors – Skying, I Break Horses – Hearts, The Joy Formidable – The Big Roar, Ben Howard – Every Kingdom, Pains of Being Pure at Heart – Belong, Death Cab for Cutie – Codes and Keys, Florence + The Machine – Ceremonials, Lykke Li – Wounded Rhymes, Daughter – His Young Heart EP + The Wild Youth EP.

Crystal Fighters - Plage

Songs of the year
  1. Crystal Fighters – Plage
  2. Metronomy – The Bay
  3. Anna Calvi – Desire
  4. Laura Marling - Sophia 
  5. Bon Iver – Holocene
  6. Summer Camp – Better Off Without You
  7. The Drums – Money 
  8. Bombay Bicycle Club – Shuffle
  9. James Blake – The Wilhelm Scream
  10. Yuck – The Wall
  11. Ghostpoet – Liiines
  12. Metronomy – The Look
  13. I Break Horses – Winter Beats
  14. Little Scream – Cannons
  15. Lykke Li – Jerome
  16. The Kills – Baby Says
  17. Daughter – Candles
  18. Benjamin Francis Leftwich – Butterfly Culture
  19. Pains of Being Pure at Heart – Belong
  20. Ben Howard – Old Pine
  21. Florence + the Machine – What the Water Gave Me
  22. Radiohead – Separator
  23. Outfit – Two Islands
  24. Hooray for Earth – True Loves
  25. Noah and the Whale – Waiting for My Chance to Come


Although this is a music blog, here are a few films I’ve liked this year, in no order because I’m lazy.
  • Drive
  • Never Let Me Go
  • Midnight in Paris
  • Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
  • 50/50
  • Submarine
  • Black Swan
  • The Rum Diary
  • Bridesmaids
  • The Fighter
Merry Christmas and thanks for reading this year, here's to a successful 2012

3 comments:

  1. hey,
    randomly came across your blog, what a great find! it's a shame it's not more well known! it's impressive that you've got interviews with the likes of laura snapes and bethan elfyn. I was wondering, do you get a contact number from somewhere in order to request an interview and then ask questions or do you tend to ask the interviewees questions via e-mail?
    I'm thinking of starting up a blog again you see! Thanks.
    P.S Great 'songs of the year' list btw - in particular BFL's 'Butterfly Culture'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey anonymous. Thanks for your comment. I do my interviews over email as most of the interviewees are based in London. Twitter is a great tool for contacting them though. My Twitter is on the left if you want to follow me and ask anything else. Keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bon Iver is a great choice for best album of the year! English Riviera never did it for you then? Glad to see Drive in the films list too.

    ReplyDelete